Big Idea 2015 - Data and Robots
My top 10 technology trends lists cover trends that I think will be important over the next three years or so. As 2015 begins, it’s time to focus on what’s around the corner so we are ready for the massive change and newfound complexity coming our way and look into 2015 and beyond accordingly.
“Consumers and businesses will live in a robotic world — a scenario early reminiscent of the Terminator franchise.”
1. Data-intensive applications will rule wireless IP. Wireless data applications will eat IP in less than three years. The size and magnitude of this change is impossible to imagine, but the implications for service providers will hit like a tsunami in 2015 or perhaps a bit earlier.
2. Mobile data congestion is already a big reality. Service providers must start to off-load to other wireless technologies like WiFi immediately.
3. Applications must be at the center of the universe. Networks must adapt to the traffic needs of applications such as latency, jitter and packet loss absorption to provide spontaneous and ubiquitous coverage across the world.
4. Data traffic is rising at exponential rates. By end of 2015, 91 percent of Internet traffic will be video, including HD, 3D, 4K video. The current Internet is not designed for these needs. It needs to support needs of 21st century applications such as latency, Jitter and packet loss.
5. Rising data, declining revenue: the never-ending story of the telecom world. Revenues are beginning to plateau so CXOs must be ready to help CEOs create innovative ways to take revenue away from OTT players starting now.
6. Cloud computing will plateau by end of 2015. Technologies such as quantum computing will take its place at the center of our universe for decades to come, and the traditional Moore’s law of computing model will be replaced.
7. Knowledge mining will dominate. Knowledge Mining will replace all data mining and information mining; this will have a huge impact on data retention and compression across the entire enterprise.
8. The advent of LTE-A will dramatically change the way communications will advance. LTE-A will finally become reality, with peak speeds of up to 1 Gbps+; LTE-A will start to compete with FTTH technologies and DMTS technologies.
9. New radio developments will surpass wireline innovation. New Wireless RAN technologies will use cognitive radios; small sites and Femto cells will be history like other technologies. Small cell technologies will dominate by the end of 2015 and will change the overall architecture and design of wireless backhaul network dramatically and move the architecture of network from Macro Cells to Micro Cells respectively.
10. SDN services will dominate business applications. Looking further, the years 2015-2025 will be dominated by machines. Consumers and businesses will live in a robotic world — a scenario early reminiscent of the Terminator franchise. Some of these robotic technologies are being implemented, such as the Google Car or robots used in hip surgery, which will ultimately lower the cost of any intrusive operations significantly. But we may be at least a full decade away for all of the new services and capabilities that will use robotic technologies with a high degree of reliability and availability approaching the 6 Sigma model.